Friday, November 12, 2010

Driving Dick Cheney


Two things you need to know about my dad up front. First, he sometimes likes to take credit for ideas people mention weeks prior and then play it off like it’s his idea. (A trait my old roommate Soraya swears I do as well) Secondly, his ideas are definitive and there are never, under any circumstances, alternative (sane) options.

Let the story begin…

From the beginning, I have been asking my dad to find out if the hotels have a shuttle service that would take our guest to and from the wedding. I want to make sure everyone can party and still be safe. He did not see the point in the shuttle and would push my comments to the side. Keep in mind; this is the same man who wanted trollies. Anyway, this past weekend Fran went out to secure the hotels. Upon inquiry he realized only one of the four hotels has a shuttle.

This put Fran in a tailspin.

Instead of calling around and asking car services for their assistance, my father had another idea.

For individual reasons, all three of my brothers do not drink alcohol. Knowing this, my dad figured they would be the only three sober people at the wedding. Therefore, my dad’s idea, and I quote, “I don't know why anyone didn't mention shuttles before today. I think it’s really important to get the guests home safe. The last thing we need is a guest to get a DUI at your wedding. So I thought, your brothers and I will rent four shuttles, drive to each hotel, pick everyone up, and then bring them home after the reception. It’s our only option.”

I tried to inform my dad that although the boys are ushers in my wedding, they do not actually usher people around the city. He had no part of this discussion.

So, if you see a man who looks like Dick Cheney pull up in van, yell at you to get in, please do. It’s just my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment